Sunday, February 14, 2016

Star Wars The Black Series Han Solo

When Lucasfilm and Hasbro came out with the Black Series of 6" figures a few years ago, it set a higher standard (and price) for Star Wars figures as a whole, making them able to compete with Marvel Legends and other figures in the same scale.  They are also highly valuable once retired.  I think this will be the case with Mr. Han Solo as he appears in The Force Awakens (and also indicative of his fate in said film).  I think I lucked out when I randomly found him at Target a few days ago, as I didn't even know he had been released yet.  Instant purchase.

Han appears much as we remember him from the Original Trilogy, perhaps most closely dressed as his appearance in The Empire Strikes Back, although his vest (which is removable) is more of a brown now than navy blue.  He comes complete with his infamous DL-44 Blaster Pistol and holster, and as standard in The Black Series, has a high level of articulation (although nowhere near as much as S.H. Figure Arts or other high-end companies).  His likeness to Harrison Ford is pretty spot-on; even the 30 years of aging since Return of the Jedi have been captured well.  All I can picture in my mind when looking at the figure is his trash compactor joke with Finn when they take Captain Phasma hostage and are thinking of ways to "keep her busy."  I definitely get a good chuckle out of that.

My only regret?  I should have grabbed Chewbacca a few months ago when I had the chance.



No comments: