Monday, March 7, 2016

Star Wars The Black Series Captain Phasma






After four months of searching just about every retail store in my area on a regular basis and failing to find her, I finally ordered The Black Series Captain Phasma from Amazon (paid a 50% mark-up, but at this point, I was willing to do it).  She was the most wanted figure in my collection for The Black Series, as I just loved her overall aesthetic and presence.  As Falldownthemountain noted, she turned out to be a bit of a disappointment in The Force Awakens; barely having any lines or action sequences, but there is always the next film.

Unlike S.H. Figuarts or other high end articulated productions, this Phasma barely moves.  Sure, she has several joints and swivels, but she is hampered by a rubber/plastic cape that restricts movement of any kind, except for her right arm holding the blaster.  I haven't tried it, but I suspect if one popped off her head, the cape could be removed, and limb/joint movement would be a bit better, but not by much.  In short, she is a very blocky figure, lacking the looseness to pose her in any kind of action sequence.





What Hasbro *did* get right, however, was the accuracy of Phasma's likeness.  The sculpt is spot-on, the proportions of Gwendoline Christie's body are perfect.  Ms. Christie is a tall, beautiful woman, and capturing that in scale to the other Black Series figures is the key to a successful toy.  When eyeballing the figures on my shelf, I saw she was even a bit taller than Darth Vader, so here is a comparison pic of Kylo Ren, Phasma, and Vader for scale:


In proportion to the First Order Stormtroopers, she towers above them like a true Captain should, both in physicality and presence.  Something tells me that if Disney really lets her loose, she would be a true force to be reckoned with, provided she survived the trash compactor.

No comments: